American Mah Jongg for Everyone
The Complete Beginner's Guide
Gregg Swain, Toby Salk
Whether you're an American Mah Jongg newbie or an intermediate player looking to gain an edge over your opponents, American Mah Jongg for Everyone is the perfect book to help you start practicing your game!
Experienced international Mah Jongg instructors Gregg Swain and Toby Salk walk you through the basics of American Mah Jongg—introducing readers to the tiles, rituals, history, rules and winning strategies of the game. Using the humor, warmth and professional tips they share with their own students, this narrative-style instruction book offers an accessible way to learn this popular game.
- Recognizing Mah Jongg tiles in different types of sets
- Building the walls and dealing the tiles
- Organizing your tiles and planning your play
- Understanding table rules and etiquette
- Winning strategies for various types of hands
National Mah Jongg tournament director Gladys Grad contributes a foreword that explains why so many people love the game. Grad also has written a chapter that outlines the rules of Siamese Mah Jongg, a fun two-person game she created that you can't find in any other Mah Jongg book!
This book comes with everything you need to get started playing, including:
- A timeless sample Mah Jongg scoring card
- A paper set to cut out and use while learning
- Easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions
- Over 80 color illustrations
- Helpful practice exercises and quizzes that reinforce the lessons
- Access to a website that provides up to date information about the game
- A glossary of terms that every Mah Jongg player needs to know
From the many different types of tiles and how to recognize them, personal stories about the game and historical trivia, American Mah Jongg for Everyone has something for anyone interested in this fascinating game.